Sunday 9 March 2014

Marinated meats - going back to work

Edit: I have been back at work for a month, and it has been crazy to say the least. I forgot to add the recipes and post this, so I'm posting now! 

Next week I will be entering back into the formal workplace. So I've been cooking up a storm! Well, not so much cooking as prepping and freezing. Batch cooking and freezer cooking are one of my favorite ways to stay on plan during the week, especially when I've got a little one who will be needing some mommy time when we get home. I'm sure as we have more kids and those kids grow up, we will have practices and competitions to go to so I will depend more and more on the good quality food I have prepared for our freezer. 

One of my favourites for the freezer is marinated meat, especially chicken. We've tried a few steak marinades but in all honesty if we are having the treat of a steak we tend to like it as is. Chicken and pork on the other hand, we have a lot more often and cooking them plain can get old fast. We buy pork at costco in the large loins and remove the fat before chopping up into roasts, chops and chunks.  I watch at costco and other grocery stores for chicken to go on sale. Freezing them in marinades keeps the meat from getting freezer burned, plus it adds a ton of flavour without adding a ton of points. Here are the ones I made this week, but note that I have never tried the creamy Greek or coconut lime before, so I can't say how they will taste! We love the tandoori chicken (even Steven who isn't a big curry fan) and the regular Greek! 

Tandoori Chicken 
(Adapted from "Not Your Mothers Make Ahead and Freeze Cookbook) 
* used fat free Greek yogurt, little less oil. 

Creamy Greek Chicken 

Coconut Lime Chicken 
Coconut milk is not a power food, so use light and count a few points for it (or not... I find marinades tricky to count points with). 


Greek marinade (pork or chicken) 



No comments:

Post a Comment