Thursday 1 August 2013

Dairy trials - potato crusted quiche



A while back I was watching Diners, Drive-ins and Dives (a food network show) and a restaurant served a potato crust quiche instead of a flakey pastry one. It hit me that it should be fairly easy to make into a simply filling dish! Mine isn't be as rich as theirs (they used heavy cream in the eggs!) but I was determined to make it tasty! 

You may have noticed that my previous recipes have been dairy free. This has been due to the fact that my daughter was reacting to it through the breast milk she was getting, so I had to cut it out temporarily. I have been testing different things out and it seems it doesn't bother her anymore, so I will be slowly making the switch back. That being said, the only fat free cheese that I can find is the Kraft singles, and frankly I don't really like the taste or texture (except maybe in grilled cheese) so many of my recipes will use other fat free milk ingredients...or none at all. 

I started off with these ingredients: 

- 3 medium potatoes, washed and shredded 
- Oil spray 
- Veggies of your choice (anything really goes! I did a few mushrooms and 1/2 each of a red and orange pepper. I was going to add green onion or onion flakes but forgot!) 
-Dry/fat free cottage cheese (this is the lowest fat one I could find, see pic) 
- salt, pepper and/or seasonings of your choice (I added dill) 
- fat free meat (optional, I didn't use any) 
- 5-6 eggs scrambled (I used 6) 

How it comes together: 

Preheat oven to 400F. Shred washed potatoes and pat dry with paper towel or cloth. Spray pie plate with oil spray, then form shredded potato into a crust. Spray the top and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown (might take longer). 

While it cooks, sauté veggies. 

Turn oven down to 350F. Add veggies, 1/4 to 1/2 of the container of cottage cheese (1/2 to 1 cup) then top with eggs. Season with seasonings. 

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until middle is cooked. Alive into 6 or 4 pieces depending on how hungry you are! 



No comments:

Post a Comment