Saturday 3 August 2013

Quick post - Quick hummus



I will try not blabber much in this post, but rather leave you with a loose recipe for a dip I've been fiddling with. I have a bunch of canned beans that I'm trying to use up, as I've started using dried instead (less sodium and cheaper) which I will post a how-to later. I picked out the chick peas, determined to make a hummus type dip. I peeled a couple of pieces of garlic and stuck them in the oven at 350 while I was making supper, turning once to brown both sides. When I took them out I was able to squish them into my magic bullet and the garlic came out like a paste. I added a bit of water and about 2 tablespoons of roasted garlic and peppers seasoning from club house and blended for a minute. I could probably write a whole post just on this stuff...it is good on everything! 


Next I rinsed the can of chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) and added them to the blender. I topped it off so the water and a few squirts of lemon juice  covered the chickpeas. To make a creamier dip add some plain fat free yogurt (or Greek for extra thick) and/or healthy oil. It goes without saying, the more liquid you add the thinner it will be, so it is better to underestimate than over. Mine turned out a bit thinner but it works for what I want to use it for! I also considered adding a bit more liquid to make a simply filling salad dressing, so I will update if that works out. It is also good to note that this dip tastes better the next day. 

Makes about 2 cups of dip. Free on simply filling! 


No comments:

Post a Comment