Monday 5 August 2013

Rainy day - dairy free ranch dip

The day started off hot and humid, so it was inevitable that this would be the rest of the day: 

I had tried out making dip the other day with a can of chickpeas I had in the cupboard and have been enjoying it at least once a day. It is almost done so I started thinking about what other dips and/or spreads I could make with beans. I had made some small white beans in my slow cooker (rinse, put in crock pot, fill with water. Cook on high for 5-8 hours depending on the type. The only one not recommended is kidney beans since you don't get them hot enough to get rid of toxins.) 

I grabbed a 2 cup bag of white beans out of my freezer and let them defrost in the freezer bag in some water in the sink. When they were ready I put 1/2 in my magic bullet (if you have a regular blender, do them all at the same time). I put water (about half way full) and 1/2 a package of ranch dip mix. Now, this technically has milk ingredients in it, so if you are being very strict you might use one of these recipes I found on Pinterest for the spice combinations (which I think I will do next time!) : 

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/16131/ranch-dressing-ii?crlt.pid=camp.YIS9q6d0
(Minus the sour cream and mayo) 
Or this one: 


Blend and enjoy! I ended up adding more water to it to make more of a dressing consistency but you don't want to add to much, as it will start tasting grainy from the beans. I did the rest of the beans and mix and stored it all in a large container in the fridge (makes about 4 cups, depending on consistency). If you dont have to avoid milk, some greek yogurt or fat free milk in place of water would taste wonderful! Enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment