Friday 30 August 2013

In the groove - chicken noodle soup (base recipe)


Am I crazy to make soup in this ridiculously hot weather? Yes. But I just wanted it so bad that I got through the cooking process so I could enjoy this wonderfully filling and heartwarming dish. 

It is rare that when I make a chicken or turkey that I don't make a stock. I mean why not?! You've basically already gotten your money's worth out of the meat, so a stock seems like bonus! And it is so easy! Take all the bones/skin/etc that you have left after picking off the meat (side note: I love picking off the meat...it is messy yet rewarding!) and throw those extras in a pot. Fill with water and bring to a boil. For a more intense flavour you could add carrots, onions and celery, but I usually don't have time to fiddle with that. Boil until the broth has a yellowy brown colour (the darker it is, the more concentrated the flavour will be). Strain the liquid into a container and discard the bones etc. Put the broth in your fridge or cold room. I usually leave it overnight for good measure. The next day you will be able to remove the fat layer from the top and you will be left with the gelatinous stock! 

To start any sort of broth soup I always start with the trinity of carrots, celery and onion. If you want peppers I would add them here as well. Sauté veggies in a little oil until tender and the onions are opaque. 

Next I add in my stock and bring to a boil. Today I wanted simple so I only seasoned with salt and pepper but I have often added rosemary, thyme and sage to taste. And really, you could add whatever you want! Lemongrass, red pepper flakes...ideas are endless. Be brave! 

Next I added in my precooked chicken (the leftovers you saved before making your broth) and (whole wheat) noodles or (brown) rice. If you want it to be thicker cook the noodles right in the soup, if you rather it be thinner cook them in a separate pot and add right at the end. I hate dishes, so you can guess which option I decided on! Also, remember that brown rice (unless it is minute rice) takes a long time to cook, plus it soaks up liquid so you might have to add some more broth or water to compensate. I even had to add a bit for my noodles!

Continue to taste the broth throughout the cooking process, as you may need to add more salt. You don't want it to taste salty, but no salt leaves it a bit bland in my opinion. At the end of cooking I added shredded zucchini (didn't want it to get too soft) and once that was cooked my soup was done! Now to try and cool my house off! Happy soup making! 

1 comment: