Tuesday 30 July 2013

Doing a favor - zucchini cake pancakes (no sugar, no sweetener, no gluten)

Yesterday my mother-in-law came for some snuggle time with my daughter and brought with her a zucchini and asked if I would make a cake, since she didn't have some of the supplies. So I grabbed a random recipe and got cooking. While it was baking my house started to fill with the wonderful scent that is zucchini cake. Knowing it would eat up (no pun intended) my weekly points if i started having "just one piece" I started looking for an alternative. I had heard of savory potato pancakes, savory zucchini pancakes and paleo banana pancakes, but I could not find anything like zucchini cake.  So I started mixing. 

I started with a base of 2 eggs like many banana and zucchini pancake recipes I looked at had. Then I added 1/4 tsp allspice and 1 1/2 - 2 tsp of cocoa an beat that together. 
 
Next I added in 1/2 a mashed banana (I just mashed it with my hands before I added it to the mixture) and 1 cup zucchini. I heated a frying pan, sprayed it with oil and divided it into 4 pancakes about the size of my palm. I was careful to really let them cook fully before flipping to avoid breakage. They don't look that pretty but they tasted good. I am going to play with my recipe a bit and see if I can get it to be a bit less eggy and might also try baking them in a silicon baking tray. I will post updates, but for now I'm full so I won't make anymore! 
* if counting points I would personally only count the eggs (4 pp). 

No comments:

Post a Comment