Tuesday 30 July 2013

Time saving - overnight slow cooker oatmeal with quinoa

I'm always looking for ways to save time but still eat healthy. That's why I tend to use my slow cooker lots! I haven't had a chance to use it much lately since we have been on the go (camping in non-electric sites) so it was nice to be able to get back in the groove of using this appliance. 

I have done slow cooker overnight steel cut oats a few times, and from the research I did the best general rule is this: 1 cup of oats to 4 cups of liquid, cook on high for 2 hours then turn on "keep warm" and go to bed. If you keep cooking it on low or high it tends to burn. And thanks to my mommy brain, I found out today that if you turn it off instead of "keep warm" it still works, you just have to heat a portion in the microwave when you get up. 

I have been hungry lately... Like hungry hippo hungry... So I've been looking at ways to feel fuller, especially in the mornings since my daughter gets me up quite early most days, plus nursing tends to make me ravenous after not eating for that many hours. Eggs are usually my go-to but I was getting sick of those so I thought I'd revisit 
oatmeal again. My cousin had mentioned quinoa prepared as a hot cereal, and this intrigued me since I knew that quinoa is a complete protein. So in searching google, I found this recipe to try and pretty much stuck to it, so I won't retype it here, but just tell you the changes or adaptations I tried and leave you with the link to the original recipe: 

http://mindfulnutritionforlife.com/2012/01/crockpot-quinoa-oatmeal-oh-yum/

1. I left out the coconut oil and sweetener. I don't doubt the health benefits of the oil, but adding either of these ingredients makes it difficult to count points (I would actually have to have a specific portion rather than taking only what I need). If I feel like adding them I would add what I wanted to a portion I was eating. 

2. I used my cooking instructions: 2 hours on high, then "keep warm" or off for the night. DON'T open it until you are ready to eat. Stir in the morning and reheat if needed. refrigerate leftovers and reheat as needed. This makes a great "dessert" when you want something warm and sweet. Add fat free cool whip if you are feeling rebellious ;) 

3. Adaptations I have tried: 

- the first time I made it I had Saskatoon berries in the fridge needing to be used. I used extra vanilla in place of the cinnamon in the recipe. Turned out good, but it made me remember I really don't care for cooked saskatoons :/ oops! 



- the second time I made it I used apples. Next time I'd add more cinnamon, but I like a lot of cinnamon. This one was much better, but I do love apple pie so that's probably why I liked this the best. 


- next I would like to try a zucchini bread inspired recipe... I will edit this post if I ever try it! Or maybe banana bread... Oh the possibilities...

One last little note: there is debate in the weight watcher community if steel cut oats count on simply filling. Technically they don't which I think is bogus. I track it as hot cereal (listed as a power food). Also, to make it truly simply filling, you will have to use soy milk or fat free milk, but since I can't have either, I tend to look the other way when I use almond milk in recipes. It is just how I work the plan for my individual situation, which I think ultimately everyone does. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

No comments:

Post a Comment